Welcome to the Genome Toolbox! I am glad you navigated to the blog and hope you find the contents useful and insightful for your genomic needs. If you find any of the entries particularly helpful, be sure to click the +1 button on the bottom of the post and share with your colleagues. Your input is encouraged, so if you have comments or are aware of more efficient tools not included in a post, I would love to hear from you. Enjoy your time browsing through the Toolbox.

Friday, June 14, 2013

Find out how many times a paper has been cited

Today I discovered that not only did someone else read one of the papers I published, but they also cited the paper!  This made me curious: How many others have cited this paper or other papers I have published?  A quick search led me to the ISI Web of Knowledge.  I may be mistaken, but I believe your institution needs a subscription to be able to use this service.  Once there, go to the ISI Web of Science tab and then click on Cited Reference Search.  Fill in the appropriate fields to customize you search and press the Search button.  This should bring up your paper or papers of interest and the number of citations each paper has received.  One option I was particularly impressed by were the citation maps that show forward and reverse maps of citations up to two generations.  Alternatively, if you don't have a subscription to ISI Web of Knowledge, Google Scholar is another resource that provides citation information.  Just search for your article of interest and the search result for the article should have a small cited by link on the lower left of the entry indicating the number of articles that have cited the current article.  Follow the link to get a list of all the articles that have cited the original paper.  Hope you are excited as I was to know how many citations your papers have received.

No comments:

Post a Comment